Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Polar Music Prize



Ennio Morricone's 'Deborah's Theme' performed by Barbara Hendricks. Incredible.

What a powerful and beautiful ceremony to be a part of. Captivating and inspirational, the music fills your senses aurally, visually and emotionally. Discovering more about the person behind the amazing compositions, and witnessing their humanity, will be unforgettable. Björk being pretty much my all time favourite musician/artist, and my ability to get swept away by Ennio's music made this particular pairing for the prize a monumentally auspicious event.

It was also a real joy to witness - with drawing - Björk's talk with The New Yorker's Sasha Frere-Jones. Although my flight and late connecting bus meant I had to creep in upstairs at the back, along with my short-sightedness, it wasn't the most dynamic of drawings, but I do like how the text has taken on a music like pattern, dominating the 'reportage' with floating rhythms. This picture to come, along with sketch of Wildbirds & Peacedrums. Ane Brun gave my favourite tribute to Bjork, her voice very unique in itself, although Robyn and Wildbirds & Peacedrums were excellent too.

All in all an amazing night, though I think a different seating/drawing arrangement is necessary - bit tricky balancing a paint pallette, water, brushes, pencils, board and paper, while needing to let Mr Tuxedo and Miss Ballgown get to their seat, never mind the constant standing/ovations for the Royal Family and prize winners ;).

Here's one of the videos of the performance where you get to spot me!

http://www.polarmusicprize.org/prize-ceremony/2010-2/

Check me out at 07.08 minutes right after the documentary on Ennio Morricone (and yes, I've been greeting a bit), and then again drawing Barbara Hendricks - I'm a little hard to spot the second time - Dark grey clothing, light blue scarf between two men in tuxedos. Third row, right of the middle - there's a woman in the front with a pink dress. I'll try and find the exact time for that one. There might be more sightings but I haven't had time to look yet.

Marie Ledin, the daughter of Abba's manager Stig Andersson who started the Polar Prize emailed me today to thank me for my Barbara Hendricks picture and is looking forward to the other ones.

Cool huh? :D

No comments: