Thursday 26 August 2010

What have I been up to? Tangents...and sweary words!

Taken from 'Blitzy Boy's Night On The Town'

Ah, it's all been a bit chaotic recently. I've been working on a lot of doggy illustrations for a lovely children's book called 'Blitzy Boy's Night on the Town' written by Maria Walker Cairnie about a group of doggy pals who know the value of friendship and having a good time with your mates. Based in Glasgow, it's been very much inspired by a lot of dogs, and a few folk too, who I've happened to meet in the city. Suffice to say it describes a theoretical slice of what it might be like if dogs had places to hang out and have fun without their owners. It's been great fun and I look forward to working with Maria on the next book in the series, which all support the interactive events she has produced including the Blitzacise class for kiddies and this upcoming Saturday - Raining Cats and Dogs If you've got kids and you're into dogs, I would suspect it might be a lot of fun!

I also recently found out I will be flying out to Moscow in October to teach a week of arty stuff to a school there. The hope is to do drawings inspired by music and is for all ages from age 2 up to 13 - it's going to be some project!! Really rather excited about it. Will keep you posted on developments.

Sunday I'm flying out to Sweden and will be attending the Polar Music Prize on Monday with sketching tools in tow. Björk and Ennio Morricone will be receiving their prize from the King of Sweden himself. I think I possibly might die of excitement. They've put me really near the front while Mattias will be sitting up on a balcony somewhere! Don't know if I'll be drawing on paper or iPad yet. Will have all the materials at hand anyway, so will be decided nearer the time. Did you know Bjork is doing the soundtrack for the animated film 'The Moomins and the Comet Chase'? That is going to be two loves in one!

Speaking of comets, here is a little video of the recent comet shower as seen from the Joshua Tree National Park, sound track by Sigur Ros - gorgeous little film - see it here - http://vimeo.com/14173983

I've also been in talks with Jonsi (of Sigur Ros) and his manager and have organised to draw three of Jonsi's concerts on his UK tour. Having watched the videos on the 'Making Of', the whole show looks like it's going to blow my mind. It looks amazing. I urge you to check out his website, music, and especially the videos. It's going to be really special drawing his show - Iceland really has created some phenomenal musicians.

What else have I been up to? I guess I should put my recent (and first ever) drawings on the iPad - more to come soon.


Quickbeam - click to get a link to their myspace - lovely stuff.


And then there was the guinness fuelled soiree in the oldest pub in Glasgow - The College Bar. Rich pickings for salt of the earth character in there I tell y'! I needlessly worried that my boyfriend Mattias who's from Sweden might have difficulty enjoying or understanding the banter that was being thrown about, but he was right in there insulting them back. Guess having a healthy obsession with Rebus, Cracker, Ian Rankin and UK comedies like Monty Python and more recently those by Armando Iannucci equipped him with a certain sensitivity. Paper and pencil supplied by the lovely College barman Stuart, drawings were then left with the boys to copy and distribute amongst themselves. Warning: Expletives abound. :)


College Education from Alan, Howard, Jake and Jim.



The long suffering College bar man Stuart.

No comments: